I’m a little behind as we were away on holiday last weekend, but we’re now into April and over 1/4 way through the year.
After a few days working hard I’ve finished up to the end of March on my blanket 🙂
It’s starting to turn a little colder and the leaves on the ground are signalling that Autumn is here!
We’ll have to wait and see what the sky of April holds in store.
A few close-ups of March 🙂
I've just finished my third block for the Crafty Bums Quilt Along 🙂
This one is called a disappearing nine square block because it's made from 9 squares (which I didn't believe when I first looked at it either!) The tutorial for making it is on the Crafty Bums blog here.
I think I probably need to work a bit on my measuring skills for seams as not all the pieces line up exactly, but hopefully that will come in time.
I've been much quicker making this one from the time it was released than the last ones. The downside to this is that I've now got a longer wait until the next one, but excitingly I think now I have 3 squares that that's a quarter of my quilt done!!
She's finished – it's Hootabelle!
She was a bit more tricky than Hoot to do as she has more colours and stripey legs and a hairband with a butterfly. For most of her I used the same pattern as Hoot and just changed colours. Then I went on a butterfly hunt to find a butterfly pattern and found this one here, which took rather a few attempts to get right but I made it in the end 🙂
One last photo – the two of them together 🙂
This is my creation of Hoot from ABC4Kids Giggle and Hoot!
Whilst we've found most children's TV in Australia to be the same as the UK, Giggle and Hoot were new to us and W has become a big Hoot fan!
I'm so pleased with how he turned out – he's great 🙂
I found the pattern for him on another blog here. It was actually finding this pattern online at the end of last year that made me say I'll have to have another go at crochet as I need to make it!
I've got another owl half made – I can't wait to see the two of them together!!
Yippee, I've finished my second quilt block!
This is block 2 of the Crafty Bums Quilt Along.
It's pretty, isn't it. I've impressed even myself with how it's turned out. I had fears it wasn't going to end up the right size after doing the first few pieces as they stopped matching up in length, but after a bit of fiddling I got it back to square by the last piece 🙂
So I now have two quilt blocks!
And I'm looking forward to doing the third – but they're not letting on what that one will be just yet!
Having to post Easter gifts for my nieces and nephew from overseas this year means they've got to be non-edible, so after much thinking and internet browsing I came across these to make – little baskets just big enough to fit a few little Easter eggs, and something they can play with with their dolls/dinosaurs after.
Aren't they pretty!
I've made them one each and one for W, all in their favourite colours.
Of course it wouldn't be right to photograph them without the eggs in (I'll send some money for eggs to refill them once they arrive), so I might have just had a mini Easter egg feast, maybe …
Having cut all the pieces out last week, I finally got round to pinning and sewing them together today. It was much easier than I was expecting actually and didn't take very long at all!
Block 2's already out, and that looks much harder. The most difficult bit comes first – deciding what colours to make the pieces!!
Today is the last day of February, and right on time I've finished my last square for the month!
It's so big, it took up nearly the whole width of the spare room floor to lay it out!
As you can see, the month started with some much colder days and there's been several days with thunder and lightning, show by the sparkly thread near the square centres – here's some close-ups to show it off better 🙂
It's dry! It's finished! Yay!
I realised I should really have sewn the hangy bit on before doing the glueing as there wasn't a lot of unglued stitches left to sew into, but I found some 🙂
That link again to the attic24 tutorial if you fancy making one yourself is here.
Now to move onto one of the other many things I've started but not yet finished!!
Today I had my first bash at blocking, which I'm told is the art of turning your wibbly wobbly crooked stuff into the shape it's meant to be – a kind of "you will be this shape whether you like it or not" technique.
The project I'm blocking is going to be a present for Mother's Day, so I'm keen to get it finished and in the post asap. It's going to be a Happy Flower Decoration, and I used this tutorial from Attic24 to make it. So I set about with a towel and some pins straightening the once curly and cactus looking thing into a nice straight flower and stem with leaves.
Next came the fun part – PVA glue! In true Art Attack/Mister Maker stylee, no homemade project is complete without PVA glue and it's abilitly to stiffen/coat/ dry clear. I went out to the shops this morning especially to get some. I should perhaps have continued reading the instructions a bit further and noted I was also meant to have a paintbrush – but oh well, I wasn't putting it off any longer so the nozzle on the glue bottle and my fingers would just have to do!
Now I just have to wait until the glue drys!